Take our assessment!

We need to get certain information in order to confirm your visa eligibility

Get in touch with our team!

Send us an email or call us on +64 7 929 2280

Retire in New Zealand

If you are considering retirement in New Zealand, there are a number of options you can choose from

There are several visas to retire in New Zealand

Immigration New Zealand allows for several options to retire in New Zealand, whether you intend to come temporarily or permanently, and whether or not you have children who reside in country.

If you have a child who is a NZ resident or citizen

The Parent Resident Visa

The 'parent category' reopened in Feb 2020 after being paused for almost three years. New Zealand residents are able to sponsor their parent(s) to come over and become residents themselves. This category is capped at 1,000 applicants/year and the key requirements are guaranteed minimum income from the New Zealand child(ren) sponsors.

It is now the sponsor's finances that are considered, and no longer the applicant's finances.

SponsorSponsor's income required
1 sponsor  for 1 parentNZD $106,080 (2 time NZ median salary)
1 sponsor  for 2 parentsNZD $159,120 (3 times NZ median salary)
Sponsor and partner for 1 parent (joint income)NZD $159,120 (3 times NZ median salary)
Sponsor and partner for 2 parents (joint income)NZD $212,160 (4 times NZ median salary)

More about this visa here

The Parent Retirement Resident Visa

This option allows you to live, work and study in New Zealand permanently, and you also need a New Zealand citizen or resident adult child willing to sponsor you. To be eligible, you will need a yearly income of NZ$60,000, NZ$1 million to invest over 4 years, and another NZ$500,000 to live on. You may then apply for permanent residence after 4 years. You may include your partner in this application.

The Parent and Grandparent Visitor Visa (3-year visa)

This temporary visa allows multiple entry into New Zealand for up to 6 months at a time, for a total maximum stay of 18 months over 3 years, to visit your child or grandchild. You must also be sponsored by them. You may include your partner in this application but if you want to bring dependent children with you they will have to apply for their own visas. This visa can also only be applied for while offshore.


If you do not have a child who is a NZ resident or citizen

The Temporary Retirement Visitor Visa (temporary visa)

This option would allow a temporary stay in New Zealand on a visitor visa for up to 2 years, so considerably longer than on a 'regular' visitor visa. You must be 66 or above, have NZ $750,000 to invest in New Zealand for 2 years, another NZ $500,000 to live on, and an annual income of NZ $60,000. You may include your partner in this application but no dependent children.

Business migration pathways (residence-class visas)

As possible alternatives, you may want to consider business migration options, which include investment visas and entrepreneur visa. The Entrepreneur visa will require you to run a business for a number of years before you will be able to retire. The Investor 1 Category visa application requires funds of NZ$10 millions to be invested for at least 3 years before you get granted residence. The Investor 2 category requires a lower investment (NZ$3 millions over 4 years) but has an age limit of 65 years for the principal applicant.