Join or bring your partner to New Zealand

You may be able to come to New Zealand based on your relationship

Getting a New Zealand visa based on partnership

If your partner holds (or applies for) a student or work visa, or is a New Zealand citizen/resident, you may be able to join them on a partnership visa.

To check your eligibility, please take our assessment!

  • You must be coming to New Zealand to join or accompany your partner
  • You must prove that you are living in a genuine and stable relationship
  • You must both intend to be in New Zealand for the same amount of time
  • You must meet health and character requirements

Type of partnership visa

These are the most common partnership-based visas.

  • Partner of a Worker visitor visa
  • Partner of a Worker work visa
  • Partner of a Student visitor visa
  • Partner of a Student work visa
  • Partner of a New Zealander visitor visa
  • Partner of a New Zealander work visa
  • Partner of a New Zealander resident visa

Recognition of relationship

To prove your relationship to Immigration New Zealand, we will ask you to provide supporting evidence, such as:

  • Relationship timeline
  • Correspondence to the same address
  • Utility bills
  • Joint bank account statements
  • Support letters
  • Photos, etc.

Temporary or residency?

If your partner is a New Zealand resident/citizen, but you have been together for less than 12 months, you may be granted a temporary work visa usually valid for 12 months. If you have been living together for 12 months or more, you may seek a 24-months work visa, and/or a resident visa based on your relationship.

If your partner is a work visa holder, your partnership work visa would be granted for the same duration as theirs.

If your partner is a student visa holder, you may be able to come for the same amount of time, but they can only sponsor you if they are studying:

What happens if INZ does not recognise the partnership?

We are here to ensure your application is successful

In other cases, your application may be declined, or your case officer may decide to grant you a visitor visa instead, to further establish your relationship.

So, can I get residence through partnership?

If you can prove at least 12 months of relationship and have been living together, you may be eligible for residence based on partnership, providing your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident.

My English is not so good… is that a problem?

There is no requirement to meet a minimum standard of English to be eligible under temporary partnership categories. There are different requirements for most residence categories.

There are a number of criteria for your partner to be an eligible sponsor. Each person’s situation is different, contact us now to discuss your particular situation.

Get your free eligibility assessment

We are serious about privacy.
The information you provide is secure and is only used to assess your enquiry.