Join or bring your partner to New Zealand
You may be able to come to New Zealand based on your relationship
Getting a New Zealand visa based on partnership
- You must be coming to New Zealand to join or accompany your partner
- You must prove that you are living in a genuine and stable relationship
- You must both intend to be in New Zealand for the same amount of time
- You must meet health and character requirements
Recognition of relationship
To prove your relationship to Immigration New Zealand, we will ask you to provide supporting evidence, such as:
- Relationship timeline
- Correspondence to the same address
- Utility bills
- Joint bank account statements
- Support letters
- Photos, etc.
Temporary or residency?
If your partner is a New Zealand resident/citizen, but you have been together for less than 12 months, you may be granted a temporary work visa valid for a maximum of 24 months.
If your partner is a work visa holder, your partnership work visa would be granted for the same duration as theirs.
If your partner is a student visa holder, you may be able to come for the same amount of time, but they can only sponsor you if they are studying:
- a level 7 or higher qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or;
- towards a postgraduate qualification
What happens if INZ does not recognise the partnership?
We are here to ensure your application is successful
In other cases, your application may be declined, or your case officer may decide to grant you a visitor visa instead, to further establish your relationship.
So, can I get residence through partnership?
If you can prove at least 12 months of relationship and have been living together, you may be eligible for residence based on partnership, providing your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident.
My English is not so good… is that a problem?
There is no requirement to meet a minimum standard of English to be eligible under temporary partnership categories. There are different requirements for most residence categories.