Variation of conditions on a visa

Your circumstances have changed: do you need a new visa?

Change of conditions or new visa?

If the conditions of your work, student or visitor visa no longer suit your situation, there are cases where we can seek a variation of conditions on your current visa without having to do a whole new visa application.

The new conditions you are asking for align with the reason your visa was originally granted. For example, this can be a change of course (on a student visa), or a change of employer/region/occupation (on a work visa).

Varying the conditions of a temporary work visa

Not all work visas come “open”. Some restrict work to a particular occupation, employer or location, such as the Accredited Employer Work Visa, for instance, where the process is called a "job change". If your work visa has one of these restrictions you may be able to change the conditions of your existing visa, instead of applying for a new visa.

A work visa typically allows for study for up to 3 months. You may be able to undertake longer study if your employer requires it as part of your training. Otherwise, you may have to apply for a variation of conditions or even a student visa.

Varying the conditions of a student visa

Under your current student visa, you may be able to apply for a variation of conditions to let you study a different course, change your education provider or change the location where you are studying. To be successful, it is important that you have met the conditions of your current student visa and are still a bona fide applicant. Immigration New Zealand will also be checking whether your original student visa would have been granted for the new course or education provider.

Working and studying

You may also be able to add work rights if they are not already included in your visa. You will find out more information on our student page.