Studying in New Zealand at a University or Tertiary Institution is a great way to migrate to New Zealand and obtain an internationally recognised qualification. Depending on the course of study, you can also work while you are studying, and potentially be granted an open work visa at conclusion of your studies so you can then actively seek full time work in New Zealand.

There are many different pathways on which courses to study and the New Zealand visas available to you and your family. At New Zealand Shores, we will ensure you are advised of the best pathway for you and your family to meet your long-term goals. We offer a complete end to end service for Students, from selection of an appropriate course, offer of place through to approval of your Student Visa and your family visas.

We are trusted authorised agents for some leading New Zealand Tertiary Institutes. Our staff are also licensed immigration advisers, so we know what it takes to have your Student Visa application approved by Immigration New Zealand. Contact us now to discuss your International Study options in New Zealand and the Student Visa options available to you.

Our International Student Services

Tertiary Course Selection
We help you choose the course and institution that matches your personal circumstances such as academic, employment and financial background. While helping you make these choices we will also take into consideration your long term goals such as your career aspirations.
Acceptance into your chosen course (the Admission process)
Navigating the admission process of your chosen education institution can often be a confusing process. We will coordinate with the relevant tertiary provider on your behalf to ensure your application to study progresses as efficiently as possible.
Managing Immigration New Zealand Visas
We manage the Immigration New Zealand visa process from end to end for you and your family. This includes unlimited immigration advice on the immigration process, the documentation required, lodging the visa application and managing your visa applications through to a decision by Immigration New Zealand.
Settlement Services
Our staff are very knowledgeable on many different aspects of moving to New Zealand and are happy to provide advice to assist with your travel and migration plans.

International Student Work Rights in New Zealand

You can work part-time for up to 20 hours per week if your full-time programme of study meet certain requirements. The most common are:

  • Studying for at least two years between level 4-6 course or one year course of level 7 or higher
  • The study leads to a NZ qualification that gains points for residence under the Skilled Migrant Category.
  • Studying an English language course that meets conditions approved by Immigration New Zealand.

You may work full-time during all vacations during study of at least one academic year.

You can work full-time over the Christmas and New Year holiday period if studying for at least eight months course that has minimum of two semesters.

If you are enrolled in Masters by research or doctoral degree programmes awarded by a New Zealand tertiary institution, there are no restrictions on the hours you can work while studying. There are unlimited work rights for PhD and Masters research students.

Bringing Your family to New Zealand while on Student Visa

In most cases the spouse and dependent children of a student can apply for and be granted a visa for the same duration as their partner or parents’ student visa. They can be granted either a visitor visa, student visa or work visa depending on the Tertiary course of study.

If your partner is granted an Open Work Visa, they can work full time in New Zealand.

If you have school age children, they may be able to attend Primary, Intermediate or Secondary school as “Domestic Students”, again which is dependent upon the tertiary course selected. Alternatively, they may need to pay international student fees. Ask us now to ensure the correct tertiary student course is selected and your family are granted the right visa options.

Working in New Zealand After Studying

There are options available if you wish to stay in New Zealand and work after you have finished your studies and work. International students who have achieved a New Zealand qualification may be allowed to gain experience in work related to their studies. Depending on what you study, you may be able to work in New Zealand for up to four years, and possibly even gain residence.

We can manage this visa process for you to ensure best chance of success. The study to work pathway has two steps:

  1. Post-study work visa (open): This visa gives you up to 12 months to get a job in a field related to your studies. While you are looking for a job in your field you are allowed to work in any job to support yourself.
  2. Post-study work visa (employer assisted) This visa lets you stay in New Zealand to gain work experience for a further two years (or three years if work experience is required as part of a professional registration). This visa relates to a specific job with a specific employer.

During your post-study work visa (employer assisted) you may qualify for a New Zealand resident visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. If your work is in an occupation that has skill shortages, this improves your chances of being allowed to stay, either with work visas or residence.

Explore New Zealand VISAS

Permanent residency

New Zealand is renowned for its lifestyle and is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. Permanent residency gives you the opportunity to live and work in New Zealand on a long term basis.

Business visas

If you have money to invest in New Zealand and the entrepreneurial skills to put your ideas into practice then a business visa might be ideal way to work and live in New Zealand.

Temporary visas

A temporary visa suited to you and your family will give you the opportunity to experience life in New Zealand for a set period of time.