The Thermal Explorer Highway runs from Hawke’s Bay through the centre of the North Island into the areas of Lake Taupo, Ruapehu, Rotorua and Hamilton & Waikato, before continuing up to Auckland. The highway is signposted clearly throughout the whole route and allows anyone to explore the central North Island with ease.
The Thermal Explorer Highway features crystal clear lakes, active mud pools and geysers which put on fantastic displays. The highway also showcases a large amount of traditional Maori culture along the way. The major tourist attractions include:
- The Waitomo caves in the Waikato
- Adrenalin and Cultural activities in Rotorua
- The Tongariro National Park and Mount Ruapehu
- The Art Deco town of Hawkes Bay
- Adrenalin fuelled activities in Taupo
Check out the official website here