A simple recipe for this Kiwi favourite!
- 6 egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1½ tsp vinegar
- 1½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1½ tsp cornflour
- whipped cream and fresh fruit for toppings
1. Preheat oven to 150˚C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and draw a 20cm circle on the baking paper. This will be the shape of your creation.
2. Beat the egg whites (electric mixer recommended!) with the salt until stiff, then add sugar very slowly while still beating. Keep beating for 5 minutes to dissolve the sugar completely.
3. Add the vinegar, vanilla and cornflour and continue beating slowly into a meringue.
4. Pile the meringue in the centre of the circle and use a spatula to spread it out within your circle.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, then leave to cool in the oven overnight.
6. Using two spatulas, lift it carefully onto a serving plate and decorate your creation with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
7. Try not to eat it all at once.